According to roofing professionals, the winter season is the time of the year when you need to be more attentive of your roof than before. The reason for this is because it can be one of the most stressful times for your roofing system and as such, you need to keep an eye out for the unique kinds of damage that only make themselves known during this time of the year.
In this article, the professionals of Patriot Roofing LLC list the five common roofing issues that can often be seen during the winter season.
- Strong Winds – The winter season is often accompanied by stronger than usual winds, making this one of the issues that you need to look out for during the winter season. Once the strong winds hit your area, shingle blow-offs are a possible occurrence for your roof, which will cause your roof to require shingle replacements as soon as possible.
- Ice Dams – If you live in an area that sees snow and ice during winter, ice dams are a roofing problem that you can expect during these times. Once ice dams form on your roof, this can be a major issue as the water from the melting snow won’t be drained by your gutters, causing it to seep underneath the shingles and cause leaks and mold growth around your home. If leaks have been a recurring problem, however, consider having your roof replaced immediately.
- Tree Limbs – Trees are a wonderful asset to have on any property, especially if they’re paired with good landscaping design. Unfortunately, if their branches happen to be overgrown, too much snow can easily cause them to snap and fall on your roof. This can damage your roof and cause you to require a roof repair earlier than expected. To prevent this, have your trees trimmed before the winter or cut the tree down if it seems too damaged or ill to be left standing.
- Condensation – When the warm air in your home connects with the cold temperatures of the outdoors, condensation can occur on your roofing system. This can not only cause leaks around your home but it can also cause moisture damage that can compromise the roof’s structural integrity in the long run. If you want to avoid condensation, have a roofer improve the ventilation of your roofing system or install a vapor retarder instead.
- Icicles – Of all these issues, icicles are the most hazardous as not only can they damage your home but they can injure you or your household members as well. With that in mind, deter icicles from forming by cleaning your gutters before winter and having the snow on your roof sweeped off.
For your home improvement requirements, simply turn to Patriot Roofing LLC, your number one experts when it comes to residential roofing and gutter installation services. Give us a call at (405) 217-0473 or fill out our contact form to get a FREE estimate. We serve homeowners in Edmond, OK, and other nearby areas.