Whenever a storm rolls through, every homeowner has different ways of handling the damage that their home sustains. Some document their homes after the storm, some contact their insurance providers and some call a roofing professional to inspect their roofs. Recent times, however, have given rise to a few myths and misconceptions that prevents some homeowners from properly caring for their homes.
Here are the five storm damage myths that homeowners need to stop believing:
1. If I Don’t File an Insurance Claim, My Rates Won’t Increase – This is pure misconception and one that you should stop believing . The truth behind this is that insurance providers have the right to raise everyone’s rates after a large storm, regardless of whether you filed a claim or not. In fact, by filing a claim and repairing your roof, it’s more likely that you can reduce your rates instead.
2. There Aren’t Any Missing Shingles, so There Isn’t Any Damage – Again, this is pure myth; just because you don’t have missing shingles, it doesn’t necessarily mean your roof didn’t sustain any damage. During the storm, it’s possible that your roof sustained minor damage so you should have the system inspected and repaired if needed to prevent further damage in the long run.
3. My Insurance Provider Will Cancel My Policy If I File a Claim – There’s no grain of truth to this notion as insurance companies aren’t allowed to cancel your policy for filing a legitimate claim after a storm.
4. The Damage is Minor so I Don’t Need to File a Claim – If your roofing system sustained any form of damage, minor or major, then you have a legitimate claim. Even if the damage is minor, it’s best that you call a roof repair pro to rectify the issue posthaste to prevent further issues down the line.
5. My Roof is New, So the Damage is Covered by the Manufacturer – Once again, this myth isn’t true as most companies and manufacturers deem hail and storm damage as voids in the warranty.
Need an expert to perform repairs on your roof? Simply turn to Patriot Roofing LLC. When it comes to roof replacement and gutter installation projects, we are your number one service provider and we won’t let you down! Give us a call at (405) 996-6787 or fill out our contact form to get a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Midwest City, OK, and other nearby areas.