Sprucing up your home is a difficult task for any homeowner but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to do. In fact, there are numerous ways to do it and one of the most popular methods of breathing new life into your home is repainting your vinyl siding. However, this isn’t a task that one should jump headfirst into. The truth is, there are actually numerous things you have to know before commencing the project.
In this post, roofing pros from Patriot Roofing LLC discuss the five things you need to know before you paint your vinyl siding.
- Determine If You Need Priming – If you have any siding material other than vinyl, one of the things you’ll have to determine first is if you need to apply a primer in order to smooth out any pitted or porous surfaces. If you need to use a primer, make sure to use the adhesive variant. However, most of the time, you may not even need the primer in the first place so make sure to ask a professional if you do.
- Choose The Right Paint – When it comes to paints, sorry to say that you can’t use whatever kind of paint you have leftover in your basement. Since vinyl siding can expand, so roof repair and siding experts like us say it’s in your best interest to use an acrylic paint that can be used on vinyl to prevent it from warping.
- Clean The Surface – A general rule of thumb for any repainting project is that you need a clean surface, especially if you’re working with a large area. Before painting, clean the surface of your siding by scrubbing it with a stiff-bristle brush and then rinse it down. Make sure you don’t skip this step as doing so can affect the adherence and lifespan of your siding’s new paint job.
- Avoid DIY – While repainting jobs are usually enough that they can be DIY’d, it’s always a task that’s best left in the hands of professionals. So before you dive into repainting your vinyl siding on your own, make sure to assess if it’s a task you’re adequately experienced enough to tackle by yourself.
- Maintain It Annually – So, you’ve finished repainting your vinyl siding. It may surprise you to know that repainting is actually only half the job. If you want your paint’s lifespan to last as long as expected, make sure to maintain it annually by cleaning it to prevent grime build up.
Make your search for a gutter installation expert easier by turning to Patriot Roofing LLC. We are the area’s leading provider of roof replacement and siding services. Give us a call at (405) 217-0473 or fill out our contact. We serve homeowners in Moore, OK, and other nearby areas.