As your home’s first line of defense against the elements, your roofing system is an asset that you’ll want to keep in good shape for as long as possible. One way to do so is to ensure adequate attic ventilation. Without good ventilation, your roof will be subject to a variety of problems. The roofing experts at Patriot Roofing LLC share five issues that are associated with inadequate attic ventilation.
1. Shorter Life Span – Residential attics should have appropriate intake and exhaust vents to guarantee proper air circulation. Otherwise, heat and moisture can build up inside the attic and may cause the roof deck to decay and deteriorate. The asphalt shingles may also start cracking, buckling and cupping.
2. Mold and Mildew Growth – Excessive moisture in your attic contributes to the formation of mold and mildew. These organisms can be harmful to your health, in addition to emitting a musty odor. They can cause asthma and other respiratory-related symptoms if you or other family members are exposed to them.
3. Ice Dams – Ice dams form when melting snow slides partway down the roof and then refreezes. This happens when heat escapes from one location in the roof instead of being evenly distributed. To minimize the formation of ice dams, your professional roof repair contractor can ensure that every 300 square feet of attic floor area gets at least 1 square foot of attic ventilation.
4. Extreme Heat – Because attics aren’t climate-controlled, they get warmer than the rest of your home, especially during the summer. The temperature in a well-ventilated attic should be similar to that of the outside. A poorly ventilated attic can retain heat and reach temperatures of up to 150°F. The shingles are baked on both sides by the sun’s heat and the heat from inside the attic, expediting their deterioration.
5. A/C Wear and Tear – Finally, poor attic ventilation can lead to A/C unit wear and tear. The lack of attic ventilation causes your home’s air conditioner to work harder to keep your home cool, especially in the upper levels. This shortens the unit’s life span while also increasing your utility bills.
Patriot Roofing LLC has built a reputation for excellent workmanship and superior customer service. Whether you require roof replacement or gutter installation, our team will make sure that each job is done professionally and meets your requirements and expectations. To request a free quote, call us at (405) 217-0473 or fill out our contact form. We serve customers in Norman, OK, and nearby communities.