After a storm, one of the first things a homeowner should do is check the roof for damage. There are times when damage, like broken shingles or torn flashing, is visible from the ground. However, it is still important to take a closer look when assessing your situation since some symptoms are hard to spot. A roofing contractor lists telltale signs of storm damage on roofs.
- Missing shingles. If your shingles are already cracked, chipped, or curling, then they are at a higher risk of blow-off once wind speeds exceed 60 mph.
- Granule loss. Some granule loss is expected with a new roof, but when found in thin, horizontal lines, it can indicate that the shingle seal was broken due to strong winds.
- Clogged gutters. Gutters should be inspected and cleaned after storm events. If gutters are broken, dislodged, or clogged, rainwater will drain directly down into the foot of the house, which can result in soil erosion, basement flooding, and foundation damage, according to roof repair experts.
- Ice dams. An unkempt roof is prone to ice damming. When melted snow refreezes on the eaves of the roof, ice dams develop. This block of ice prevents water from melting snow from shedding off the roof and can encourage leaks.
- Moisture in the attic. Be sure to check your attic for moisture penetration. Your insulation and other inundated surfaces may need to be replaced to stave off mold and mildew growth, which is extremely detrimental to the health of residents.
You can count on Patriot Roofing LLC for high-quality roofing solutions, including storm-damaged roof repair and gutter installation. Our certified team is committed to providing industry-leading products and outstanding customer service to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of each and every client. Call us at (405) 289-8807or fill out our contact form to request a free, no-obligation quote. We serve in and around Moore, OK.