Gutters catch rainwater flowing off your roofing system. You can avoid soil erosion, basement flooding and paint damage as long as your gutters are functional and angled correctly. Gutters come in a selection of shapes, colors and price points so you can easily find a match for the style of your house and budget. Here is a quick guide on rain gutters for all residential owners.
What Are the Types of Gutters?
There are two basic types of gutters and both come in 5- and 6-inch widths.
- K-Style Gutters: The term K-style is derived from the profile of this guttering type when viewed from the side angle. It has a flat bottom and back, and the front side has the shape of a curve that mimics a crown molding.
- Half-Round Gutters: The name suggests that this guttering type looks like a tube cut in half. It is often found in historic houses.
Which Gutter Material Should You Choose?
Gutters for residential homes are typically made from various metals.
- Aluminum: The most common material used for gutter installation is aluminum. It is lightweight and fairly simple to install. It is ideal for wet regions since it is incredibly resistant to rust.
- Copper: Copper is known for its architectural beauty. It does not rust like aluminum. There is no need to paint copper gutters since the material will develop patina over time. It is used primarily on high-end homes and historic restorations.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is a lightweight and inexpensive material for gutters. Its color is susceptible to fading from damaging UV rays, but it may crack in severely cold weather.
- Zinc: Zinc is durable and long-lasting, but often expensive. It also develops patina over time like copper. This material needs professional installation since joints and seams must be welded.
How Many Downspouts Do You Need?
The size and number of downspouts your home needs will depend on the capacity of your gutter system. They come as either round or square, and often in widths from three to six inches. As a general rule, you need a single downspout for approximately every 30 to 40 linear feet of gutter.
Patriot Roofing LLC is a leading provider of home improvement solutions in and around Norman, OK. We work with residential and commercial clients and assure them of high-quality gutter installation, storm damage roof repair and more. Call us at (405) 996-6787 or fill out our contact form to request a quote.