A tree crashing on your roof is something you’ll never wish to encounter. However, as grim as it is, you’ll still need to prepare for it in case it does happen. Unfortunately, it can be quite common due to severe weather events or trees overhanging your roof. In this post, the top roof repair expert in your area, Patriot Roofing LLC, shares what you can do in case a tree falls on your roof.
1. Check If Anyone Is Injured. Before inspecting your home for damage, you should first check if anyone in your home or around your vicinity is injured. If there are, call for an ambulance immediately.
2. Check For Broken Power Lines. Did the tree strike down any power lines, transformers, or electrical equipment? If so, call your electrical company and do not come near the power lines.
3. Assess and Document the Damage. Before assessing the damage, make sure that you keep a safe distance from the damaged area. Your roofing contractor will also tell you to contact your homeowner’s insurance provider ASAP. An adjuster will come to your home to assist you with the claim filing. Make sure that you take photos of the damaged area, such as the fallen tree, and the damage to your roof. You can also include things that have been damaged on the way down.
4. Don’t Remove the Tree. Many homeowners might be tempted to remove the tree with a chainsaw, but don’t do so since this is very dangerous. Keep in mind that your home is in an unstable condition, as this might put you in more danger, damage your home further, and void your insurance claim.
5. Call a Local Roofer. Call on your local roofer once this incident happens. Don’t just pick a roofer based on the price, and work with one with a solid reputation that’s rooted in your community. Make sure that they also properly licensed, bonded and insured.
Turn to Patriot Roofing LLC for quality roof and gutter installation services. Call us at (405) 217-0473 or fill out our contact form to get a free estimate. We serve clients in Norman, Moore, Edmond, Midwest City, OK, and nearby communities.